First I took apart Wade to remind myself of how I constructed him.
I started with a ball of foil as a base. It is too hard to get a full ball of clay to harden enough to be useful, so I build the head around the piece of foil.
And here it is, all assembled, on top of the skeletal drawing I made. When I am done, it will be about 11 inches tall. I still have to decide on how to do the feet and hands.
Another advantage of doing hair this way is I can make several wigs for a single puppet with several different styles, and I don't have to worry about trying to style a wig that has been glued in a way that makes it hard to change the hair style. Currently the last layer of glue is drying. I will continue with it tomorrow, and will post the results here.
Wish me luck!